Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
This is a very easy east meets west recipe. Easily put together for 10 bucks or under this recipe rocks!
1 lb. round steak, fat trimmed
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 cup vegetable oil OR peanut oil
1 cup green onions, sliced (about 8 incl. green tops)
1 cup green sweet peppers, cut into 1-inch squares
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1 Tbs. cornstarch
1 cup water
1 can (14.5 oz.) stewed tomatoes
1. Remove excess fat from steak. Cut steak across grain (how to) into thin strips 1/8-inch thick.
2. In a large Ziploc bag combine soy sauce, garlic, and ginger; seal and shake. Add steak; shake to coat meat. Set aside while preparing veggies.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet or wok. Add beef and toss over medium-high heat until browned. Cover and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes until meat is tender.
4. Return heat to medium and add green onion, green peppers, and celery. Cook for 10 minutes stirring frequently.
5. In a small bowl mix cornstarch and water until well combined. Add to skillet; stir and cook until sauce thickens.
6. Add stewed tomatoes and heat for 3-4 additional minutes.
You can prepare the meat ahead of time, keeping the Ziploc bag refrigerated for up to 12 hours. The presentation is even more attractive if you use 1/2 cup green peppers and 1/2 cup of red peppers. This of course increases the estimated cost by a buck or two.