Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Although this is my mother, Connie’s actual recipe, it is a favorite of my niece Tracy. I’ve had few cakes more moist then this one. The apple flavor combined with the simple brown sugar glaze has to be experienced.
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
4 cups baking apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
1 cup black walnuts, chopped
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
2. In a large mixing bowl combine eggs, oil, and sugar; mix well.
3. In a medium mixing bowl sift flour, salt, and baking soda; stir together well.
4. Add the dry mixture (flour) to the wet mixture (egg); mix well. Add apples, nuts, and vanilla; mix to combine.
5. Pour batter into the pre-greased Bundt or Angel Food (tube) baking pan.
6. Bake for 1 hour at 350°F. Remove from oven.
7. In saucepan over medium heat combine brown sugar, milk, and butter; cook 2 1/2 minutes after mixture comes to a boil. While cake is still hot, pour glaze over cake in pan. Cool cake completely before removing from pan.
If this cake lasts 3 days in your home, without being eaten, I’d be very surprised!