Prep Time: 15 minutes
Roast Time: 2 1/2 hours
Serves: 12 (about 6 cups cooked meat)
This is a great “make ahead” recipe. You end up with 6 cups of Savory Shredded Pork. You can use the pork to make hearty sandwiches and equally delish tacos. By freezing some of the meat you can always be ready for a fast, mouth watering savory pork meal.
3 lb. boneless pork shoulder blade roast
8 cloves garlic, minced (how to)
2 tsp. ground coriander
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. dried oregano, crushed (how to)
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. ground red pepper
1 cup beef OR chicken broth
Hamburger buns or Kaiser rolls, split, buttered, and toasted (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Trim excess fat from meat. In a small-bowl combine garlic, coriander, cumin, oregano, onion powder, salt, black pepper, and red pepper; rub into the meat.
3. Place meat in a roasting pan that has a cover; add beef broth. Cover and roast in a
325°F oven for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until very tender.
4. Remove meat from liquid with a slotted spoon; skim off excess fat from liquid; reserving the liquid that is left (broth and pork drippings).
5. When meat is cool enough to handle, shred it. To shred the pork simply use 2 forks to pull the meat apart; place the first fork into the meat and hold it steady, and then place the second fork into the meat and pull it away from the first fork. Repeat this process until all of the meat has been shredded into small pieces. It is easiest to shred when the fork tines are aligned with the grain of the meat, while pulling against the grain.
6. Split the meat into 2-cup servings and place each in a Ziploc bag. The 3 pound roast used in this recipe should yield about 6 cups – or 3, 2-cup Ziploc bag portions. Divide the remaining reserved liquid (from roasting) evenly into the bags. You should end up with 3 Ziploc bags of shredded pork, each with 1/3 of the broth liquid in the bag.
7. Freeze whatever portions of the shredded pork you won’t be using in the next few days.
One Ziploc bag of shredded pork yields 4 delicious Savory Shredded Pork sandwiches when served on a buttered and toasted Hamburger or Kaiser roll. You can also use one bag to make Shredded Pork Tacos.