Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Serves: 12 cups of party mix
A Christmas staple in the Murphy home, it was always my father’s job to make the party mix. I loved all of my mother’s wonderful cookies and holiday specialties, but when it came down to sheer volume, I think I took in more of my father’s (Ralph) party mix. As his health began to dwindle he invited me into the process. The torch was slowly passed and now it’s one of my happiest holiday traditions – making the party mix.
Ralph’s recipe was a little different then the original Chex recipe. I’ve stuck to his recipe exactly. I tried making it in the microwave one year, and found it just doesn’t come out as well. I hope you enjoy Ralph’s Party Mix as well as I do.
3 1/2 cups Corn Chex cereal
3 1/2 cups Rice Chex cereal
2 cups Wheat Chex cereal
1 cup Cheerio cereal (original)
1 cup mixed nuts
1 cup bite-size pretzels
8 Tbs. butter (1 stick)
2 1/2 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp. seasoning salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1. Preheat the oven to 250°F.
2. In a large, ungreased roasting pan, mix the cereals (4), nuts, and pretzels.
3. In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat; stir in the Worcestershire sauce, seasoning salt, garlic powder, and onion powder.
4. Pour seasoned melted butter over the cereal mixture; toss until evenly coated.
5. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour – stirring every 15 minutes. Spread over paper towels to cool, about 15 minutes. Store in airtight containers.
I want some – now!